Informing the Right People

Who to Inform

We understand this time can be difficult for you and you family, we also understand that you may want to let family and friends know about the passing of your loved one where and when the funeral will take place to take the pressure from yourselves some families to choose an obituary notice. This is placed in your local newspaper and online. The notice can be a tribute to your loved one also stating the date and time of the funeral and all other information that is required.

Most local councils run a service called tell us once this lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.

The registrar will tell you about using TELL Us Once and give you a unique reference number to access the service. Tell Us once will notify.

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to deal with tax and cancel benefits
  • Department for work and pensions (DWP) to cancel benefits e.g. income support
  • Driver and vehicle licensing agency (DVLA) to cancel driving licence
  • Passport office to cancel passport
  • The local council to cancel housing benefit council tax a blue badge inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register.
Scroll to Top