Register a Death

Newcatle Civic Centre

In Newcastle upon Tyne you must register the death at The Register Office, 2nd Floor, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.

Registering the Death

Who can register the death?

  • A close relative
  • A relative in attendance during the last illness
  • A relative living in the district where the death occurred
  • A person present at death
  • The person responsible for arranging the funeral.

How do I register the death?

The death must be registered in the registry office for the district where the death happened. Our funeral director will advise you on which office you should go to.

What documents do I need to take to the registrar?

  • The medical certificate cause of death (normally issued by the GP or hospital doctor) is absolutely necessary.
  • If you have them readily available it is also worth taking the deceased's medical card and birth certificate.
  • You also need to give the registrar the following information:
  • Date and place of death
  • Full name of the deceased (maiden name if married)
  • Home address
  • Date and place of birth
  • National insurance number (this is needed for the tell us once service)
  • Occupation, if married,full name of living spouse.

You will need to register the death at some stage to obtain certified copies of the death certificate for insurance companies, banks,building societies and solicitors. These are currently 4.00 each and you can purchase as many as you need.If an inquest is needed to take place, you cannot register the death until the full inquest has been carried out, but you can obtain an interim certificate from the coroner to sort out financial matters.

Appointments must be made at the Registrar's office of the district where the death occurred. If the death occurred in Newcastle upon Tyne you must register the death at The Register Office, 2nd Floor, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.Find out more:

Documents from the Registrar

The Registrar will issue you with a green certificatewhich needs to be delivered to us as soon as possible. They will also issue you with a"Notification of Death" form,which you will need to fill in and send to the Department of Work and Pensions. For a small charge, the Registrar will issue"Copies of the Entry", (copies of the death certificate). These will be required by banks, insurance companies, private pensions and the Probate Office.

Registrar's 'Tell us Once' Service

  • Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.
  • Your local registrar will have given you a unique reference number to access the Tell Us Once service online or by phone. You'll need the deceased's:
    • Date of birth
    • National Insurance number
    • Driving licnce number
    • Passport number
    • Details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, eg State Pension
    • Details of any local council services they were getting, eg Blue Badge
    • Name and address of their next of kin
    • Name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their 'executor' or 'administrator'

'Tell us Once' will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with tax and cancel benefits
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, eg income support
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence
  • Passport Office - to cancel a passport
  • The local council - to cancel housing benefit, council tax benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
Scroll to Top